20 replies to this topic

#1 Shubawks

Shubawks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hello there,

My name is Shubawks - I've been an incredibly long-time "lurker" of Earthrise, I played the game when it was available, and was able to watch tons of footage from others playing that had reached content I hadn't reached as of yet. One thing Earthrise did entirely wrong - no external extensive testing phases. The testing phases of the game, which I vaguely remember, weren't very widespread, if at all for the community of gamers that were actually going to be involved in the game. With that said, I believe the developers should turn in direction, and LOOK to the community for direction on things they would like to see, do weekly development update builds to test new features and implementations.

Something else I've noticed, Earthrise didn't really take to the community, or involve them - the game just sort of played on it's own and that was it. Instead of repeating what happened last time, involve us - hire some new PR/Community Relations people to deal with the community aspect of your "child". Sponsor contests for beta access, or winning some t-shirts, these small things get the community going.

This is my 2cents, I'd like to see this game succeed, but two things - (besides the main factor of bad execution) is community involvement and a larger testing group for certain mechanics and features.

Good luck,
Shubawks
  • atobrieri likes this

#2 The Editor

The Editor

Legen-wait-dary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

You are both right and wrong.
Earthrise missed one important phase - mass CBT or even OBT. It was caused by some deadlines and actually hurt the game a lot.
The thing we did after that involved the community a lot. Many people that are still here in the forums had their suggestions implemented. Actually the game was developed by both MHS and the players. Of course it could not compensate the bugs and performance issues. But we always had good communication with our players. I am sure SF will work the same way.
  • Ironfield likes this

#3 Shubawks

Shubawks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

Earthrise missed one important phase - mass CBT or even OBT. It was caused by some deadlines and actually hurt the game a lot.
The thing we did after that involved the community a lot. Many people that are still here in the forums had their suggestions implemented. Actually the game was developed by both MHS and the players. Of course it could not compensate the bugs and performance issues. But we always had good communication with our players. I am sure SF will work the same way.

From friends that played, and even myself (being the quiet person I am..) - I saw a lack of meeting community needs, but okay.

#4 Knar

Knar

Grizzled Veteran

• Test Candidate
  • 303 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

From friends that played, and even myself (being the quiet person I am..) - I saw a lack of meeting community needs, but okay.

Masthead actually did involve the community pre-launch, which is the only way they managed a population at launch. I think the best thing they did was setting up the guild forums, where each guild had it's own forum for recruitment and such. It would be GREAT if they implemented something similar for the relaunch. When the first gameplay video was released, the outcry from the community caused them to go back and redo the entire combat system. The old forums are still up if you'd like to see what I mean: http://oldforum.play-earthrise.com/

Even after launch they listened to our suggestions and made some changes the community asked for, but it may not have been as apparent unless you played the game.

I agree that the community needs to be involved though, and I hope SF realizes this.
Posted Image

#5 Keos

Keos

Uh it's Keos

• SilentFuture
  • 699 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

It's not the first MMO we worked on and supported the developer, this time it’s just that we are in front and need to prove that we will not leave you alone with your opinion. I hope you will fast notice, that we will integrate you in the development process and from the start keep a good communication up and running.

#6 Cavadus

Cavadus

Bulletstorm

• Test Candidate
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSVS South Legion HQ

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

Actually the game was developed by both MHS and the players. Of course it could not compensate the bugs and performance issues. But we always had good communication with our players.

Yeah, from CBT and onward players had next no to impact on game development.

I laughed every time a "Choose Your Own Feature" thread went up. Not a single winning entry ever made it into the game.

I think the only thing MHS can ever really claim to have worked with the playerbase on was nerfing and buffing some stuff.

And MHS never made any serious attempts to get their client working well. Either they wouldn't or couldn't and both of those options speak volumes about MHS' professionalism.

ER going over to another company is the only hope this game had. We'll see how the Germans do, I guess...

sig_light.png

#7 Seires

Seires

Veteran

• Test Candidate
  • 261 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:40 AM

It's not the first MMO we worked on and supported the developer, this time it’s just that we are in front and need to prove that we will not leave you alone with your opinion. I hope you will fast notice, that we will integrate you in the development process and from the start keep a good communication up and running.

Care to give us some background on the team? Mostly curiosity to know what MMOs you guys have worked on in the past.

Posted Image

#8 phunqe

phunqe

Gunslinger

• Test Candidate
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Keos

Keos

Uh it's Keos

• SilentFuture
  • 699 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

@Seires
If i would tell you, i have to shot you. Sorry.

@phunqe
Thank you.

#10 antonly

antonly

Runner

• Test Candidate
  • 42 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

Holy ShPosted Image
Are you REDy?

#11 Keos

Keos

Uh it's Keos

• SilentFuture
  • 699 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

Sorry Knar, had to turn your post off again.

#12 antonly

antonly

Runner

• Test Candidate
  • 42 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

Hey, I see you want rework almost all from original game. But will it be at least hardcore: FFA PvP and drop from players (with insurance).

PS

And guys are you sure to complete game before real apoc occurs in the end of 2012?
Are you REDy?

#13 Keos

Keos

Uh it's Keos

• SilentFuture
  • 699 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

I wouldn't say its hardcore FFA PvP but thats my opinion. Hardcore it would be if there wouldn't be demilitariced zones anymore and friendly fire added so that you don't need to press a force attack button.

So when the real apoc is planned? We could sync our release date with it and start both together ;)

#14 RagnarokEdR

RagnarokEdR

Gunslinger

• Test Candidate
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMontréal, QC

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

well the real apocalypse is inexistant. People are just too retarded to realise it. "The planets will align!" No they're no.

planet alignment in december 2012.

ps: there's only 2 really hardcore games out atm (correct me if I'm wrong), [removed] Online and Mortal Online. and I wouldnt even add MO because of oneshot guards in cities which makes it demilitarized.

#15 MacHead

MacHead

Grizzled Veteran

• Test Candidate
  • 379 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:18 AM

ps: there's only 2 really hardcore games out atm (correct me if I'm wrong), [removed] Online and Mortal Online. and I wouldnt even add MO because of oneshot guards in cities which makes it demilitarized.

Imho we must speak about hardcore elements. DF and MO have no permadeath to be more hardcore. ER had enough hardcore elements that modern MMO could have. I could call [removed] more hardcore than DF where naked mages kill each other without a risk to loose their stuff.

#16 RagnarokEdR

RagnarokEdR

Gunslinger

• Test Candidate
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMontréal, QC

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

Imho we must speak about hardcore elements. DF and MO have no permadeath to be more hardcore. ER had enough hardcore elements that modern MMO could have. I could call [removed] more hardcore than DF where naked mages kill each other without a risk to loose their stuff.

Permadeath is a joke in most of the games advertising it. Sure your name change and all but in reality you keep some of your shit, skills, etc. Or it's quick enough to get them back that it's like player a fps game. As for robed player sin DF dont blame the game for people being sissies not willing to risk their gear.

PS: If you lose to someone in a robe, you're bad compared to them.

#17 Recon

Recon

Grizzled Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

I was in Early beta very early, The Editor was correct on his answer which I hardly ever agree with him, but this I do because I was here from the start, The issue is the Devs listen to the people who where the most vocal, and whined, see that where Indies fail and some AAA's do because they listen to the whiners and not to people who actually have a clue and say stuff, people who have an opinion need to speak up more, I'm guilty of this because being a Paid beta tester of games for years and a Game designer, I have learned one thing, whiners win , because Devs don't want to hear it anymore, people just need to be more vocal, if you think the game is perfect say so, if you see someone whining about an issue and keep whining, the issue is the devs will change it and that whiner will quit and you’re stuck with it.. Some Devs are smart and do not listen, do you remember seeing ammo in the auction house?? That because early beta they were going to add it and have that, but some people cried saying that they didn't want to deal with it etc, well [removed] does it and I think it was a great idea, and it works... It fits the theme of the game where you need to find things etc...

One thing I noticed about MHS and this is not to bash , because in early beta they seem to care, but I noticed they seem to be way to stressed out and NOT care, or they given up and it showed, One thing that is so important is CS, players need CS, we were ignored allot and issues where going on and even if you can't fix something, CS is still important, let them know your aware of the issue, Don't ignore them, the other issue , is having people run this forum and have an attitude issue, even if someone gets an attitude with you, never give them one, I know some people are thinking what the hell, well guess what that business you shouldn't take it personally, I have seen too many people running this forum take it personally, guess what you’re in the wrong business, I have been around it for many years, and many times, I wanted to rip someone’s head off, but you shouldn't because your just going to piss that person off more and they will quit, and you just lost them money..

So, Devs, and managers, forum mods, etc, need to know how to talk to the public, when dealing with game play matters, bugs, or whatever the issue may be, people just want you to tell them everything will be fine, and they DO NOT want to be IGNORED!

[removed] is a prime example I play that game a decent amount since beta, because there in game support is one of the best I have ever seen and some of you may of had a bad experience which can happen with any type of business but the way they do it is the way I think all games should because they work fast when it comes to issues for the most part, some issues they can't fix , and you need the DEVS to, that happens, but every time I play another game I think I wish I had [removed]'s Mods in game, if I made a MMO, which I make smaller scale games, I would have them in a heart beat... Same with Xyson, they have them as well, called guides, if I was Silent Future, I would have them in game, they can be players, that what Xsyon does and [removed] does as well, give them some basic tools for people being stuck, so they can move them, and do smaller tasks than a main dev, also have them there for a help channel to help players with questions, and also be there to babysit to keep the community clean, those are all in those games, yes some still troll but those games are more inviting than most games because of the community, people would rather play a game with a nice community than a bunch of whining trolls, or whatever.

I think they also should keep the crafting but change it a bit make it if you make an item, it makes whatever, but the stats will be a bit different depending on the items used, and have it where you skill up, and when you’re at the highest skill, when you use the proper combination then you will get better results. No one will ever know what you’re making and how.... Makes it have rare items, with the way the game it is set up this could be done, they where going to have something like this but people whined it would be too hard, but that unique, and its rewarding to crafters, in this game I crafted more items than 99% of the community, I was at T10 with armor and weapons, and a few other things, and I know for a fact I was one of few who did NOT cheat, aka macro, and yes macroing is cheating, I seen many doing this which MHS did nothing about it, this game was easy to exploit, I never did it because I have different values and morals than some do... But you guys had LUA files that could be edited in Note pad, for heaven’s sake, take care of that as well, that is not hard, I will not explain here how to, I’m sure if you have a good programmer he will know what I’m talking about, if NOT feel free to PM me.. But I can't stand cheaters...aka macroers.

I also think if you changed the crafting a bit that will make it for people want to cheat less as well...macroing has ruined games, and continues to, [removed], Asheron call 1 and 2, and other games people do it because of them clicking, and clicking and how boring something is, so think of something that will be fun, and not repetitive.

Anyway I could go on and on but I won't feel free to PM me for anything as I always wanted this game to deal well, even over most because I loved the Theme of the game and some of the game play itself, and we do not have any games like this that are even close to being good there all the same... Good luck to the new company I do wish you well, and please for the love of God, listen to your player base, and not to the cry babies in this industry.... they quit anyways...
http://www.divided-a...nce.com/forums/

Guild leader of Divided-allegiance

Communtiy Leader of Divided allegiance. Divided Allegiance still is recruiting and playing Guild War 2 and The [removed].

#18 Procyreus

Procyreus

Ammo Carrier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

Listening to your community isn't the end all be all of making a good game when the loudest part of your community is a tiny minority of incredibly hardcore players who want features that will drive 95% of your potential customers to the hills and shout down anyone who disagrees.

#19 RagnarokEdR

RagnarokEdR

Gunslinger

• Test Candidate
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMontréal, QC

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:33 AM

I remember telling the devs one week before launch that they needed to delay the release or they would probably fail miserably. Sadly history proved me right. Hopefully the new dev gets it right.

#20 Risen32

Risen32

Runner

• Test Candidate
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:49 AM

1. Remove all stuns! (adding in blinds would be better, you still have the ability to move around and there could be a way to counter blinds)
2. I dind't like the way armor/weapons were setup, basically each higher tier was better than the next tier rather than having different types of gear that was used for different play styles. (heavy armor, light armor etc)
3. Mods for armors/weapons.
4. Ammo needs to be crafted.
5. Instant 1 click looting has to go away, in an open world full loot game instant looting is horrible!
6. The ability to revive a downed player with the ability to "gank" or finish off the player. (In [removed] when you get the kill shot the player falls to the ground and starts the bleeding out timer, you have about 2 minutes to either revive the person or finish them off with a gank)
7. I hated that all crafted items came from killing mobs, there were no resource nodes in the world to get resources from.
8. Resources to build the bases need to be more abundant and not part of quests, I HATED THAT - you can still create pvp hot spots for collecting base mats but the way it was done was horrible.
9. The guns that were part of the walls on bases only attacked players that attacked that specific wall, they should have targeted any non-clan member at anytime that came within range.
10. The chat system was HORRIBLE!
11. There needs to be a built in alliance system were clan/guilds can ally each other and get an alliance chat just like in [removed].
12. You were able disable/enable mouse lock that allowed you to move your weapon all around - even behind you without your body even turning around - this has to go away! Players were able to shoot targets directly behind them without even turning their bodies around.
13. Some type of WAR Dec system that doesn't allow you to attack within safe towns. (This only encourages grief clans) There should be a signifacant currency cost tied into a war dec system.
14. Putting all the bases in one area didn't really make sense to me, I always thought that they should have been spread out all over the world so that clans could live out of them instead of living out of npc towns. (allies should be able to enter their allies bases without tower aggro, or at least an option for the owning clan to set it this way)
15. A 15 sec timer should be added to portals, so that once you click on it you are still in the game world for 15 sec before you port.
16. I'm not what to suggest, but the whole insurance thing needs to be reworked (nobody EVER lost armor unless you forgot to insure it) and armor/weapons lasted way to long.
17. My FPS inside cities litterrally went from 30-40 down to 2-5 when they added the extra npc's to cities to try to make them look more alive, it was a horrible idea - everyone screamed about it when they did it, but they still didn't take them out.
18. Replace guards inside npc towns with towers, npc towns in any mmo always reduce peoples fps - this is one way to get less things going on inside towns.
19. When they added in vehicles they put in a RIDICULOUSLY overpriced vehicle on the npc merchants, instead of doing this there should just be 1 extremely low key basic vehicle that can be crafted very early on.
20. Vehicle Mods
21. Pretty much every quest in the game either had bugs or was 100% broken, at the end there wasn't a single starter quest that even worked. (you litterally could not pick up or complete any starter quest in the first town because they all were broken!)
22. Outposts were useless to build because of how limited the base mats were.
23. Only siege type vehicles/mechs should be able to take down base walls. (small arms fire like rifles/pistols should not be able to penetrate damage on base walls)
24. Jet Packs to get over base walls! For raiding bases during non-siege times.
25. In [removed] you have to destroy the walls of a clan controlled city down to 50% in order to have the chance to complete a siege. (something similar could be implemented in this game if resources were a bit more abundant, as it was all you had to do was get past the defenders and cap the monitor)
26. Once you cap the monitor to take over the base you should have to be able to defend for a certain amount of time (30 min?) in order to win the siege.
27. The ability to do asset damage to bases during non-siege times (if bases were spread out and were able to be used as cities by clans then they would be there to defend them, also if you could only use expensive siege equipment then you would have to risk something to do this - an open world sandbox you should have the ability to do things, but with risk vs reward)

That's all I can think of right now off the top of my head.

I'm really excited this game got picked up by another game company!

I don't see an edit option, I just wanted to add something to #6, the downed player should have the ability to "release" themself after about 10-15 sec if they don't want to wait out the 2 minute timer.

I just remembered another thing about bases, they were guarded by extremely OVER POWERED mobs that only need to be bypassed by running a group of 5-10 players through the spawns and sprinting for the terminal. With enough people doing this you were able to get at least one person to the terminal and inside the little building outside of the mobs agrro/weapon range. My suggestion is to give these bases a "deed" that can be obtained in the game world for the initial takeover of a base for the first time. (after that it would have to be sieged) The deed could be tradeable/lootable.

One last suggestion, give us an edit option on the forums! :P

Edit: You should also be able to edit the posts. Its now a little bit hidden but right bottom of the post there is a "edit" :rolleyes:

Edited by Keos, 11 August 2012 - 06:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users